Saturday, November 7, 2009

Maine

Wow, I'm so disappointed about the outcome in Maine. I was really hoping for some progress there, but I guess the residents of Maine just aren't ready for it.

Personally I think it's a numbers game where the united voice of progress is easily shouted down by the enormous contingent of right wing republicans, and where the middle ground heterosexual normalcy sits on the fence.

The video I posted on youtube got over 90 comments, and some of them were shocking. Mostly lots of god-botherers calling homosexuals sinners, deviants, telling them to go to hell and the like. Accusations of homosexuals trying to push their "gay agenda" onto schools and all kinds of silly ignorant nonsense.

It's times like these that I really feel repressed and discriminated. And I'm not even gay! I'm also not a white straight christian republican, and it seems unfair that they get any say at all about who marriage is good for. I certainly don't want to be one of them and neither do I think they own marriage.

What is comforting is that statistically and undeniably majority of the naysayers are also GenXers, and the younger generations of today are more tollerant, culturally and socially diverse, and less religious.

So god-botherers, you can keep marriage today. Soon you will all be dead, and your children will carry the torch of human equality into the future without you. God bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment